SOUNDING BOARD is an outlet for opinions on good and crazy things going on at home (wherever I may be). All are welcome. You are not expected to bring anything except your common sense & sense of humor.

 
geek

Search the civil
society sites

www.blogwise.com

Click here to join HotPandesal
Click to join HotPandesal

 
 
'If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.' -Robert X. Cringely (from geek wisdom)
 
Archives


<< current




 
RAGNAROK CHRONICLES


A Midgard citizen's sounding board. Protecting Rune-Midgard as a very unusual assassin, fast-casting dex-int-vit wizard and instantcaster super novice.
 
Linxxxxx to the outside world


:::: Harvard KSG Op-eds [>]
:::: Wired News [>]
:::: The Atlantic Online [>]
:::: The Washington Post [>]
:::: The New Republic Online [>]
:::: The Nation [>]
:::: The Onion [>]
:::: The Weekly Standard [>]
:::: BBC News [>]
:::: The Straits Times Interactive [>]
:::: INQ7.net [>]
:::: REUTERS.com [>]
:::: Netscape Odd News [>]
 
The world of conflict


:::: UN Action Against Terrorism [>]
:::: Journal of Homeland Security [>]
:::: RAND [>]
:::: Terrorism Law and Policy [>]
:::: High Frontier [>]
:::: Intelligence agencies [>]
:::: Terrorism: Questions and Answers [>]
:::: Canadian Consortium on Asia Pacific Security [>]
:::: The Fletcher Forum of World Affairs [>]
:::: prisoners' dilemma [>]
:::: Center for Game Theory in Economics [>]
:::: Conversations with History [>]
 
Sharpening the saw


:::: The Pardee RAND Graduate School [>]
:::: Center for Defense and International Security Studies [>]
:::: Center for Strategic and International Studies [>]
:::: Defense Studies Department, KCL [>]
:::: The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy [>]
:::: Center for Peace and Security Studies [>]
:::: The International Institute for Strategic Studies [>]
 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to SOUNDING BOARD!


powered by Bloglet
 
Meet Chenda for today's weather in Phnom Phen.

The WeatherPixie
 


SOUNDING BOARD
WHERE COMMON SENSE IS STILL COMMON
 


SOUNDING BOARD
Saturday, June 19, 2004
_____________________________________________
 

It has been a long time...

Oo nga naman. It has been a long time, thanks to AnP and Jo, probably the only two persons who have been visiting this blog *laughs* whatever.

I will be conducting the first of the five training programs on gender budgeting for ministries' staffs and NGOs. Preparing the draft modules and meeting with the stakeholders are and will be keeping me busy (still!) for the next few weeks. I feel good too that the budget for my project seems to be moving now (although is in a very slow pace), which means that we will be able to purchase some equipments for the office. I never like bringing my laptop at the office. I ride 'motodup' everyday especially when I have to go to the office (I can work at home, and I do that sometimes). People here warn me to be careful as some holduppers sometimes stop motodups and take the passengers' belongings. Worse, sometimes, they snatch whatever they can grab - and that causes injuries to passengers.

Ok, AnP, you got my attention. I'm interested to purchase that book (Culture Matters: How Values Shape Human Progress) but I could not find it in bookstores here. I may have to ask a favor from a friend just to get a copy shipped to my place hehehehhe. Hey, it's cheaper than going to Bangkok (nearest) or Manila for a weekend getaway, errr... I mean to get a copy ;-)

I have not been keeping abreast of what's going on in Phnom Penh (I'm soooo bad), and even in Manila. I get the juicy details from my contacts here. My optimism with respect to the formation of the new government in Cambodia has been dampened a little bit. My source expressed disappointment (I haven't verified this yet) because it may take a longer time than we expect. Apparently, all three parties are now in disagreement on how to do the power sharing among them. Minorities (Funsinpec and Sam Rainsey Party) want 50-50 - a compromise which the majority party (Cambodian People's Party) may not be too happy with. Whatever the outcome, it is my personal wish that a new government be formed soon. My goodness, it has been almost a year since the last election.

I'm doing good, lost some weight (that's good), have totally adapted to Khmer food, but not to the level of corruption here. I get sense that what they have here is worse than what we have in Manila. We asked one of our counterparts to go the bank to make a transaction for the project. When he came back, we were informed that the bank personnel said that if we want a faster service, we should give him/her a small amount for coffee or snack. OMG! Talk about being blunt! Other than that, well, I really like it here. And *that* is the understatement of the year.


posted by Allan at 10:42 PM (GMT+8)
permalink (URL of this post) ::
Comments:
Im trying to test this new feature...
 
Post a Comment
:: main page