SOUNDING BOARD is an outlet for opinions on good and crazy things going on at home (wherever I may be). All are welcome. You are not expected to bring anything except your common sense & sense of humor.

 
geek

Search the civil
society sites

www.blogwise.com

Click here to join HotPandesal
Click to join HotPandesal

 
 
'If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.' -Robert X. Cringely (from geek wisdom)
 
Archives


<< current




 
RAGNAROK CHRONICLES


A Midgard citizen's sounding board. Protecting Rune-Midgard as a very unusual assassin, fast-casting dex-int-vit wizard and instantcaster super novice.
 
Linxxxxx to the outside world


:::: Harvard KSG Op-eds [>]
:::: Wired News [>]
:::: The Atlantic Online [>]
:::: The Washington Post [>]
:::: The New Republic Online [>]
:::: The Nation [>]
:::: The Onion [>]
:::: The Weekly Standard [>]
:::: BBC News [>]
:::: The Straits Times Interactive [>]
:::: INQ7.net [>]
:::: REUTERS.com [>]
:::: Netscape Odd News [>]
 
The world of conflict


:::: UN Action Against Terrorism [>]
:::: Journal of Homeland Security [>]
:::: RAND [>]
:::: Terrorism Law and Policy [>]
:::: High Frontier [>]
:::: Intelligence agencies [>]
:::: Terrorism: Questions and Answers [>]
:::: Canadian Consortium on Asia Pacific Security [>]
:::: The Fletcher Forum of World Affairs [>]
:::: prisoners' dilemma [>]
:::: Center for Game Theory in Economics [>]
:::: Conversations with History [>]
 
Sharpening the saw


:::: The Pardee RAND Graduate School [>]
:::: Center for Defense and International Security Studies [>]
:::: Center for Strategic and International Studies [>]
:::: Defense Studies Department, KCL [>]
:::: The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy [>]
:::: Center for Peace and Security Studies [>]
:::: The International Institute for Strategic Studies [>]
 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to SOUNDING BOARD!


powered by Bloglet
 
Meet Chenda for today's weather in Phnom Phen.

The WeatherPixie
 


SOUNDING BOARD
WHERE COMMON SENSE IS STILL COMMON
 


SOUNDING BOARD
Wednesday, August 18, 2004
_____________________________________________
 

My last few days in Phnom Penh (sort of)

I will be leaving Phnom Penh in a few days. I am not sure how I feel about leaving Phnom Penh.

Part of me wants to go home at once. I need a break from my stressful life at work. I really could use a rest. If you have been reading the few accounts of my work here, youll know that things progressed to hectic-crazy (with lots of unnecessary pressure from a source I'd rather not mention). I do enjoy my work though, save for that. And I believe in what I do.

Yet part of me (somehow, a bigger part of me) feels sad that I will be away from this city, even with all its drive-anywhere motorists that makes you grab your seatbelt or hold on to your seat (in case you ride 'motodup' everyday, like me).

I guess I fell in love with this city. I felt home, actually. I have only managed to throw in a phrase or two, but I felt a deeper sense of belongingness. Cambodians are a bunch of warm, hospitable people, always ready to smile back at you. And when they do, you feel the warmth in the midst of the difficulties they have. For a few hundred riels (1USD = 4,000 riels), you can make a boy or girl happy by buying fruits or delicacy that he/she sells, or just by letting him shine your pair of shoes. For a dollar in exchange of a native delicacy, you can help an old woman get through the day. For a few dollars per week in excess of the regular motodup fee, my driver beams with a smile as he will have extra money for his children's day-to-day educational expenses. And when you feel the day is going too fast, you can sit back, have coffee and read a book along the riverside. No fuss.

Somehow, I stopped dreaming about home after a month or two. And it is probably because I felt happy being here. There is an inexplicable joy in my heart whenever I manage to bring out a smile from a friend, colleague, or from just anyone here. It's the warmth of the smile and the place that lifts my spirit up every single day of my life in Phnom Penh. And even as I get ready to go home, I look forward to my next mission here. I love Phnom Penh.


posted by Allan at 12:52 PM (GMT+8)
permalink (URL of this post) ::
Comments: Post a Comment
:: main page